Students are recommended for certification when the College of Education requirements are met.
- GPA requirements:
- Cumulative GPA in all courses of 3.00
- Cumlative GPA in education courses of 3.00
- Cumlative GPA in major courses of 2.80
- Satisfactory Recommendations from:
- Cooperating teachers of student teaching
- Supervisors of student teaching
- Successful completion of student teaching experience
- Completion of the 12 graduate credits in the summer following graduation successfully
Nebraska Department of Education Certification Requirements
In addition to completing the Doane College of Education program, the Nebraska Department of Education requires successful completion of the following exams to receive licensure:
- CORE Academic Skills for Educators test: Reading (156), Writing (162) and Math (150)
- Required content test(s) in endorsement area(s) with a passing score
Completion of the Doane Teacher Education Program is not a guarantee of obtaining certification to teach in any state. The state granting certification makes the final determination on awarding a teaching certificate to an applicant.
Admission and Appeals
The student has the right of an appeal to any of the decisions and can request a personal review to seek changes of the decisions.
The procedure is as follows:
- The student meets for a personal interview with the Dean of College of Education.
- A date is set for the Teacher Education Committee to meet as a whole for reconsideration.
- The student has a personal appearance before the Committee, with another faculty member as consul if desired, for the purpose of presenting additional data and answering questions prior to Committee vote.