In an emergency, call 911 (9-911 from a campus phone) or Public Safety at 402-826-8669. In the event of a suicidal crisis or mental health related emergency, call 988.
The Campus Assessment, Response and Education (CARE) Team is a campus-wide team that provides a caring approach of identification, consultation, and coordination of the Doane University response to situations involving students who engage in concerning, disruptive and/or potentially harmful behavior. The CARE Team serves as a resource to the campus community and centralizes and coordinates communication, to best serve the needs of the student. Team members identify risk and develop a collaborative, individualized outreach and support plan, utilizing campus and community resources.
Notify the CARE Team if you are concerned about a student. Referrals are reviewed during normal business hours (M-F, 8am-4pm) and are not monitored after hours, on weekends, or during official University holidays. Referrals using this form should NOT be used in situations requiring emergency response.
Examples of concerning behaviors:
- Excessive absences from class
- Noticeable decline
- Sudden changes in behavior
- Poses immediate threat to self
- Shows inappropriate anger or hostility
- Exhibits atypical or bizarre behavior
- Talks about suicide or homicide
- Writes or verbalizes direct threat to another
- Seems overly emotional, depressed, aggressive, suspicious, etc.
- Is the subject of complaints by other students
- Continuously disrupts class and refuses to stop
- Comes to class drunk or high
- Has serious issues with test-taking or presentations
- Experiencing difficulty due to illness or death in the family
Once a student is referred, the CARE Team will review the information and determine who can best provide support to the student. Our goal is to provide a personalized approach to meet the students’ needs, and stay connected to help the student be successful.